Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hello, hello

Creatives get all sorts of weird quirks. Bizarre outfits. Weird social skills (or none.) UInique sleep patterns. Sometimes sleep becomes a long-forgotten friend to me, and in those evenings (luckily, it's only lasted as long as 4 nights and I was spared the hallucinations :knock on wood:) I generally try to "Be Productive."

This consists of whatever I am able to finish, depending on what's sitting on my plate. Currently my plate is full of the usual items that would be equal to nasty veggies to a child: Clients who want things yesterday and want more for less, three on the burner that have waited patiently an embarassing period of time for a product, a store that's waiting for inventory, and a partrige in a pear-tree.
Wait...that's not right. Art shows. 3 before the end of August, to be exact.

However, sometimes even the most diligent workers need a small amount of down-time, so even if I couldn't sleep, I took half of that option. I was able to update my site, which felt like a nice progressive step. While I love the pieces I made in art school, I wasn't the most diligent student, so some projects fall in the "Less Than Professional" catagory. I've also taken a crash course in freelancing, so I've grown leaps and bound in the last 6 months. However, I did order items for a client. Brainstormed for another. Brainstormed for myself.
The only thing inducing catholic-guilt, though, is the series if pieces I need to develop for those 3 shows.

I have a wonderful idea that explores terrain I've never touched on with my art. I have most of the supplies, however I also have a superstitious feeling that if I work on this project in the spurts between commercial endevours then it will fail. Weird, especially considering my commercial art training, but it's also a little reflective of my past. I truly feel that anyone can infuse something with their essence if given the right attention & focus. That's why some people are great artists, and some are mediocre. The difference lies within the passion and focus the individual gives the piece as their creating it. It sounds....out there...but I feel like people infuse themselves into their work, even if it's a bland ad for the Yellow Pages. Passion and creativity lies in the creator, not the creation.

heh, I'm just going to apologize now for this post. I was struck with the "unsleepiness" and reached for a beer to beat the brain back. I'm now 5 into the process...hence the ramblings.
But, it's 4am, and most of my clients are daywalkers, so it may have been necessary.
And, as you can tell, this entry has been a random rambling, with minor updates.
Every girl deserves one of those :D

But the series I will hopefully create and infuse will happen sometime within the next week. With the perfect exploration in the third dimension, along with symbolism, to create what I hope is a story the viewer can read on their own without my weak verbal influence.

I'll, of course, post previews and shallow explanations of items here as production goes on.

Until then, though. Enjoy my 4am, insomniac artist rambles :huge grin:

No comments:

Post a Comment