Sunday, July 4, 2010

Trying to Define

two groups that I referenced to in the previous post: Hobby Artists and People Who Fantasize about the Romance of Art. There is Nothing wrong with belonging or not belonging to either catagory, I just figured to attempt a definition since I started rambling about it.

Hobby Artists are what the Tax Monsters call those artists who dabble in a little art outside of their main means of income and don't make more money than they spend on supplies. It's easy for any artist to be a hobby artist, you can be trained, have an education, or completely self-taught. To keep from being labeled "Hobby Artist" you have to dedicate time, energy and blood to hone your skills and Earn An Income. Hobby Artists still have a passion, but most aren't as focused with what to do with said passion.

People Who Fantasize about the Romance of Art actually kindof bug me. They're the ones who come up to me while I'm sketching in public, Oooh and Aaah about how "Wonderful it must be to be an artist" and how "Differently artists must see the world" and all that other blather. They aren't complimenting my style, subject or composition, they're simply amazed at the image coming out of my fingers and compare it to the fantasy realms of things that don't exist, like faeries, dragons and virgins. Mostly, they're male and using lines like that to pick me up, but I'll keep the generalization to one plane, cause women do it too.
These people don't usually see the time, dedication and neglected life that it takes to make such sketches.

Now, maybe there is something unique about the drive to create. And yes, I suppose something is wired differently in most artists' brains that make us see the world differently, but That Doesn't Mean we're a magical bunch of weirdos. We're just a different flavor of the same human race that accountants, chemists and engineers are crafted from.

And I hate how my words sound so cold, calculated and jaded, but I swear they aren't the tones I'd use verbally. I do appreciate that what comes as second nature and driven will to me is a foreign language to others. Really :) I love it when people look through my sketches and leave feedback or their interpretation of what I've done. I LOVE feedback and insight from the viewer.
But I don't like feeling like someone is verbally patting my head like a small child when they look into my sketchbook.

Does this make any sense, or am I being "unapproachable" again?

No comments:

Post a Comment