Monday, June 14, 2010

Whenever I'm not looking for it

Work always comes my way :)

Granted, they are small jobs, and most are on the horizon, but the little things feel nice.

I was filling in for a friend at his sign shop when an opportunity to develop a slightly bizarre logo landed on my plate. I ran with it. Instead of looking for the best font to cut out of vinyl, I asked the shop manager how much art time I had and the client if they minded me sketching the letters. I ended up making a bastardized mish-mash of about five fonts and came up with something the client was severely happy about. Granted, everyone else thinks it's a little too weird, but honestly, it's going to look really sweet on this guy's sweet black Mustang. In green, bright green. But you'd really have to see the car to understand.

The pinstriping was designed and applied by someone else, and my text on the back hasn't been approved yet, but I wanted to post before I forgot.
The client was interested in using my skills for a few more personal projects and spreading my availablity to his car club friends. Just a little something in the wind, nothing huge.


But, there is a possible book illustration gig in the air and the author is hoping to come to town sometime next month to discuss in person. Until then we're going to exchange emails about ideas and inspiration as I'll be helping him build the whole style and feel on this story he has in outline form. This came through a mutual friend, and from what they both say he's self-published successfully a few times.
Then again, considering one of his favorite illustrators is Dave McDean I'd do this job if only to see if I could push myself to those levels.

Soon I'll get a few illustrations completed, but for now I have a few other non-commercial things to focus on.

1 comment: